Your comments Please

Before you read the comment below from Ralph in response to the article below by Heather on "Conversation with a religious woman," I would like to point out that I had some concerns in publishing Heather's post. I say this because when I first suggested the idea of having a blog for and by the docents (without making references to the museum), there was concern expressed that the blog could become a "forum" for negative thoughts or criticism at worst, or, at best, pose copyright issues with articles taken from the LA Times newspaper.

But Ralph raises some good points even though he would have preferred the article not be posted because it expresses the views of one docent (and others) on a potentially controversial issue. So although I think I may have brought some controversy to the blog by publishing Heather's article (since I am the blog master), I hope it might be made useful by opening the issue of "evolution," which made be a "taboo" issue for many docents as to application to being a responsible docent in front of kids and teachers. So I am hoping for some direction as to what is deemed to be acceptable articles for the blog besides posting applicable LA Times Articles.

From Ralph

I think the post was very interesting, although I think the incident should let us all talk about the content. The Docent, whoever he/she was, engaged in the conversation in a way I would not have.
To use "impossible fairy tales and mythology" and "religion does make people stupid" are very crude and almost crass ways to talk about people who seem to be asking for validation, information, and psychological support, even though their statements may seem attacking or resentful. These should be opportunities for us to acknowledge others' feelings and to have a conversation that helps promote healthy respect for those who believe differently. For purposes of education, when it comes to evolution, and questions of religion and God, there are much better ways to respond to such incidents that let us remain neutral, but helpful when we can.
The Docent who responded in the way he/she did only left a bad taste in the mouth of someone who may have wanted very much to engage in a conversation about their beliefs--beliefs possibly that were tentatively held and who now may be looking for enlightenment.
We need to understand that others believe all sorts of things. Our own personal prejudices won't help the visitor to "learn" what they came to learn about. I would say that our responses to questions that have religious content should be discussed.
I spent my entire life in very religiously fundamental churches, colleges and seminaries. However, to be honest, I don't much accept religious statements, assertions, or beliefs. But others have them and we should be sensitive and helpful when they arise.
Chuck, I don't know how to do it, but we need more discourse on our responses to those who have religious beliefs.
Ralph

From Maria:

As I wrote in my e-mail, the Catholic Church teaches evolution but believes that God set it all in motion. The world wasn't created in 7 days (a week), but in stages that could have lasted millions of years. When I was teaching catechism, many, many years ago, a parent complained because I said the above. I was NOT offended by Heather's posting, but I take Ralph's point.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Humans got immunity boost from Neanderthals, study finds

Prehistoric feathers found frozen in amber

How Sharks sniff out their prey